Here are the simple steps that you can do to sterilize your nebulizer machine. To sterilize your nebulizer, you will need a cleaning solution that consists one (1) part white vinegar to 10 parts of water.
- Disassemble all parts of your nebulizer circuits, all parts of the disposable nebulizer circuits except tubing should be cleaned.
- Wash nebulizer circuit parts well with soapy detergent using a bottlebrush to get into small cracks.
- Rinse well with hot tap water.
- Using a clean container or bowl, place all parts in vinegar/water solution for 30 minutes to soak.
- With clean hands, remove parts and rinse with hot water again – shake out excess water and allow to air dry on a paper towel.
- Reassemble when dry and store in a CLEAN unused plastic bag.
- Do not towel dry nebulizer parts; this could cause contamination.
- Never place any nebulizer parts in an automatic dishwasher; doing so could cause damage.
- To prevent possible risk of infection from contaminated medication, cleaning of the nebulizer is recommended each day.
- To prevent possible risk of infection from contaminated cleaning solutions, always prepare fresh solution for each cleaning cycle and discard solution after each use.
About Your Medication
- If you are measuring your medication it is important to be precise.
- Do not change your dosage unless directed to do so by your physician. The medication is highly concentrated and the difference of one or two drops can be a big difference.
- If you are using unit dose medication, put the entire contents of one vial in the nebulizer cup for each treatment.